What better to rouse a sleeping blogger than a midnight snack? I agree, NOTHING! I just had this delicious concoction for the second time today because I couldn't imagine going to sleep without another bite. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Spicy Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad with BACON
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken stock (or water/veg stock)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (to taste!)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, crumbled (or more if you want! "real" bacon bits work for this too)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional, depending on allergies)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
This recipe was a marriage of a few different recipes I was inspired by: http://www.fourgreensteps.com/community/recipes/salads/sweet-potato-and-quinoa-salad and http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soupssalads/r/spicyquinoa.htm, along with my great imagination. In other words, I added BACON.
I had it for lunch. Then again for a midnight snack. Great hot or cold. YUM. My first experience cooking with quinoa was a complete success!! Anybody have any recent favorite recipes?? I'm inspired as of late and am ready to dig in. In other new news...I have a job interview on Tuesday. I'm REALLY excited and hopeful. woo.